Shoulder Season Savings in the Midwest
When the hot, humid weather turns warm during the day and cool at night, leaves on the trees are slowly changing color, and crowds at popular tourist destinations are much smaller, it’s time to take advantage of fall in the Midwest. Plan a trip during shoulder season -- September to October -- when traveler demand isn’t as high and hotel rates are reasonably priced.
Arguably one of the most beautiful times of the year to explore America’s Heartland, there are plenty of activities to entertain a quick fall getaway -- hike through one of the area’s several state parks, stroll along Chicago’s Magnificent Mile or head to an orchard for apple-picking.
Here are some Midwest deals that save as much as 50% on stays through fall:
- Hilton Indianapolis Hotel & Suites: Weekend stays through October have been discounted by 50% to $99 per night, including parking and a $20 dining credit. This hotel is walking distance to popular attractions in the city such as the White River State Park and NCAA Hall of Champions museum.
- Island House Hotel, Mackinac Island: Retreat to the automobile-free Mackinac Island, Michigan with a two-night escape for $275 (regularly $486) on select dates through October. This deal covers accommodations, breakfast and roundtrip ferry tickets.
- The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago: Stays in downtown Chicago through November start at $155 per night at this 4-star hotel, across the street from the John Hancock Observatory and two blocks from the Water Tower Place mall.
- Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort, Door County: A one-bedroom suite at this resort in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin is $119 per night, Sundays-Thursdays Sept. 3 – Oct. 18. Take a drive to a nearby orchard as apple picking season is at its prime in Door County during September.
- Stoney Creek Inn Galena: Visit one of America's Top Ten Charming Small Towns, according to TripAdvisor in 2011 and stay at a quaint hotel for $71 per night, weekdays through October, including breakfast. The downtown area is filled with boutique shops, antique stores, art galleries and restaurants.
- Millennium Hotel, Minneapolis: Check into this downtown hotel for $79 per night with free parking and Internet access. This deal saves 40% on current rates during select dates in August and September.
Visit our Local Deals page for destination specific entertainment, recreation, restaurant and spa offers.