Visiting America's Most Walkable Cities
The experts at Walk Score released 2013 list of the most walkable cities in America, deemed some of the most healthful and enjoyable places to live for ease of commuting and increased quality of life.
Here at Travelzoo, we saw this list as a roundup of cities prime for visiting. Instead of spending your hard-earned cash on taxis, rental cars or bus fare, just slap on a good pair of shoes and see the sights the old-fashioned way. Some of the most exciting cities in the U.S. are also some of the most pedestrian friendly, including Chicago, New York and San Francisco. Map out a route to hit everything on your list (or pop your smartphone in your pocket) and hop to it!
- Minneapolis: For stays through the end of the year at the city ranked No. 9, check in starting at $99 per night at Aloft Minneapolis in the Mill District. The downtown neighborhood is home to two parks the Guthrie Theater, the Mill City Museum and the MacPhail Center for Music.
- Miami: Hotels across the city, which came in eighth on the Walk Score list, have discounted rates for travel into the new year. Nightly prices start at $119 and our deals offer savings up to 40%.
- Washington, D.C.: Explore all the capital has to offer with a deal that has the lowest prices we've seen all year for a D.C. proper hotel all year. The city came in seventh on the list. These stays in Dupont Circle are now $75 per night and are close to cafes, galleries and shops that locals flock to.
- Seattle: Weekend stays at a 4-star hotel in the city that earned the sixth spot have been cut by 25%. The Sheraton Seattle Hotel, now available through December starting at $135 per night, is close to the famed Pike Place Market, some of the most popular restaurants in town and several parks.
- Philadelphia: Stay two blocks from Independence Hall at the city ranked fifth on the list. The Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District is now $119 per night with this exclusive offer that's 45% off current rates.
- Boston: See Newbury Street in full swing this holiday season with a deal at the Sheraton Boston, which is steps from the street known for its upscale shops and cozy restaurants. Rates start at $125 per night and include Thanksgiving and Christmas travel. Boston came in No. 3 on this year's list.