Fireworks Shows in Cities across the U.S.
Independence Day is around the corner, and with that in mind, here’s a handy list of the big fireworks displays on the Fourth in cities across the U.S. this year:
- New York City: More than 40,000 fireworks will illuminate the skies over the Hudson River, in a televised show put on by Macy’s starting around 8 p.m. and featuring Usher, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Mariah Carey and more.
- Boston: The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular, which is celebrating its 40th year, is an annual free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell in Beacon Hill. The concert starring Susan Tedeschi, Ellis Hall, Howie Day and Ayla Brown will begin at 7:30 p.m. and the fireworks go off at 9:30.
- Washington, D.C.: Visible from locations across D.C. and parts of northern Virginia, the fireworks will be launched from the Reflecting Pool area of the National Mall at 9:17 p.m.
- Philadelphia: The Grand Finale Fireworks at the Philadelphia Museum of Art caps off a day of patriotic parties and concerts citywide. Acts include The Roots, John Mayer, Neo, Jill Scott, J. Cole, Grace Potter, Ben Taylor and Demi Lovato.
- Chicago: Based at tourist hot spot Navy Pier, there are several times to see a show. Catch the sights over Lake Michigan July 3 and July 4 at 9:30 p.m. as well as July 6 at 10:15 p.m. Downtown gets pretty packed: it’s popular to head a bit farther south or up to the suburb of Evanston to get a lakefront experience.
- Dallas area -- Addison, Texas: The perfectly named Kaboom Town show is big by even Texas standards. The suburb outside of Dallas hosts the show that kicks off around 9:30 p.m. and is said by locals not to be missed.
- Nashville: At The Lawn at Riverfront Park, the show of more than 25,000 fireworks is set to the live music of the Nashville Symphony at 9:50 p.m.
- Lake Tahoe: The Lights on the Lake Fireworks display is touted as the show you can see all across town, but residents will tell you that it’s best to find a friend with a boat and take in the show on the water with a festive cocktail in hand. The show will begin at 9:30 p.m.
- San Francisco: The show over the Bay takes place in front of Pier 39 at 9:30 p.m. Event organizers say other good places to catch the show are from Coit Tower, the Cannery and Ghirardelli Square.
- Seattle: The annual Lake Union 4th of July fireworks, which has been held over more than 60 years, will start at 10:15 p.m. at Gas Works Park in the Wallingford neighborhood. For boaters, the south end of Lake Union will be open for the public to anchor in.
To make the festivities last longer, make sure to grab a Local Deal for fine dining, luxe spa days, city tours and more in New York, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.
Still on the fence about taking a July Fourth trip? Use these tips to save on a last-minute vacation.