Donating Hotel Points to Oklahoma Tornado Victims
Last week’s devastating tornado in Moore, Okla., has displaced hundreds of families in the area, and hotel chains across the country have created ways which travelers can help by turning rewards points into free room nights for those affected by the storm or a donation to the American Red Cross.
- Hyatt: Members of the Gold Passport program can donate in two ways. Turn points into room nights for families by calling customer service at 800-228-3360 or 402-593-8615 or, those same points can be donated in 5,000 point increments. Each 5,000 point donation turns into a $25 gift to the American Red Cross. Hyatt in turn will match the total donations through June 30, up to $25,000.
- IHG: With the Shelter in a Storm program, guests enrolled in the Priority Club Rewards can help by donating points that will be turned into contributions to local aid organizations. For every 5,000 points donated, that will be converted into $20 for the cause.
- Choice Hotels: People enrolled in the Choice Privileges program can donate points that will become money sent to the American Red Cross, and Choice Privileges will match the donation. With this system, a 1,000-point donation becomes $10 to the Red Cross.
- Hilton: Year round, travelers enrolled in Hilton HHonors can take part in the Giving Back program. For every 10,000 Points guests donate, HHonors will send a $25 contribution to the charity of his or her choice, including the Red Cross.
- Marriott Rewards: Turn 15,000 points into a $50 donation to the Red Cross, or several other charities worldwide, whenever you wish in the online store.
- Starwood: Those enrolled in the Preferred Guest program can donate to emergency relief services, including the Red Cross, once they have accrued 2,000 points, which becomes a $25 donation.