Travel + Leisure just released its annual list of the 10 World’s Best Cities, and we’ve got great deals in nearly all of them.
1. Bangkok: Spend four nights in this top-rated city as part of a seven-night package that includes a tour of the oldest temple in Bangkok, a visit to one of the biggest reclining Buddha statues in the world and a boat ride through the network of urban canals.
2. & 3.: Florence & Rome: See two of the top cities in one tour with this six-night Italian escape that includes visits to historic Florence’s Accademia of Fine Arts, home to Michelangelo’s statue of David. The tour ends in Rome, the electric, eternal city, with stops at the Roman Forum and the Colosseum.
4. New York City: The only American city to crack into the top ten, New York City always has tons of deals for travelers. Check in to one of these hotels during peak summer season for under $200 per night, then have a fancy dinner at a French bistro, Japanese tapas at a new fusion sake bar, or a swanky meal in a historic club.5. Istanbul: The entry point to this 12-night odyssey through Turkey, Istanbul heaves with Byzantine architecture, sultan’s palaces and ornate mosques. Layers of history are peeled back in a tour of the Hagia Sophia, originally built in 537 A.D. as an Orthodox basilica before being converted into a mosque, now an impressive jumble of contrasting religious iconography.
6. Cape Town: This luxurious South Africa safari tour starts with four nights in Cape Town at a Conde Nast Traveler Gold List hotel set between soaring Table Mountain and the Twelve Apostles mountain range. Spend days relaxing on the beach, wandering the markets or tasting some of the finest locally produced wine.
7. Siem Reap: A trip to this Cambodian city is typically capped with a visit to Angkor Wat, an astonishing and sprawling temple that records several centuries of Khmer Empire rule. Chinese influences crash again colonial style in the city’s old French Quarter, and chic restaurants and art galleries pop up all over. Cheap flights to Bangkok get travelers just a short connection away.
8. Sydney: This tour of Australia and New Zealand includes two nights Sydney, where travelers are free to explore all the city has to offer, from the iconic opera house to the harbor bridge to the rollicking nightlife.9. Barcelona: Barcelona starts at a brilliant, sun-baked coastline and works its way inland through the tight wandering alleys of its medieval core before opening up into a genteel grid of graceful homes and apartments that house fashionable restaurants and shops. Every so often, grotesque Gaudi structures drop from a twisted fantasyland into the middle of a block. Explore it all with this six-night tour that also includes a stay on the clubland island of Ibiza.
10. Paris: The city that launched a million novels, movies, blogs, dorm-room posters, you-name-it, Paris is endlessly inspiring, with an inimitable arsenal of art, fashion, history and baked goods. After wandering streets washed in a dreamy rose-gray haze, hop on this seven-night river cruise that sails up the Seine to Van Gogh’s home and beyond.