Sweetest Day isn't nearly as popular as Valentine’s Day, but is worthy of its spot, held on Oct. 15 this year. Fathered in 1922 by a Cleveland candy employee and philanthropist, the third Saturday of October was created as way to do something “sweet” for the orphans and underprivileged in Ohio during the Depression. The holiday has evolved, but still holds true to its roots of simply expressing one’s gratitude to another for his or her sweetness. Plan ahead for the holiday with some of these Local Deals across the country:
- Nationwide: Order a pound of cookies from four scrumptious flavors, including butter pecan meltaways and raspberry linzer tarts for $12. From David’s Cookies, this offer is 60% off current prices.
- Orange County: Rent a luxury boat tour for you and up to eight others on this private cruise with appetizers and cider for $69 a boat. This deal from Newport Fun Tours saves more than $85 on regular prices.
- New York City: See NYC from a whole different point of view with this breathtaking helicopter trip over the city for $135 per person. From Manhattan Helicopters, this deal is 55% off.
- Las Vegas: Treat your sweetest partner or best friend to a luxurious day at this “modern and hip” spa including refreshments and amenity access for $89. Save more than $120 on this deal from The Spa at Green Valley Ranch Resort & Spa.
- San Francisco: Boost your barbecue skills just in time for tailgating season with this five-hour gourmet barbecue cooking class in Sausalito for $85. The savings from Big Jim’s BBQ is nearly 55%.
- Chicago: Embrance your inner-French spirit at this “haven of authentic bistro charm” with a three-course dinner for two. From Cyrano’s Bistrot Wine Bar & Cabaret diners will save $48.
Check the Local Deals page for new ideas every day.