Chicago Street Fests: See the City Like a Local This Summer
Chicago summers shine with fireworks, food trucks and raising temperatures (finally!). The best way to savor it all is by joining the crowds at one of the city’s many street festivals. Happening all summer long in nearly every neighborhood, these fests are the epitome of summertime Chicago. Here are a few local favorites:
- While the masses will be descending on the Taste of Chicago (July 10-14), visitors can get a more local flavor at the Taste of Lincoln Avenue (July 27-28). This year marks the Lincoln Park fest’s 30th anniversary, which will be celebrated with more than 250 vendors, 40 music acts and a kids’ carnival. Head there that Sunday at 8 p.m., when the ‘80s cover band Sixteen Candles will be singing its best “All Night Long.”
- Venture to the family-friendly Roscoe Village neighborhood for Retro on Roscoe (Aug. 10-11). A local-favorite, this fest takes over the neighborhood’s boutique-lined streets and fills them with food stands and concert stages. The fest goes retro each year with its impressive display of antiques and classic cars.
- For fewer families and more festivities, join the party scene at Northalsted Market Days (Aug. 10-11). The two-day fair stretches over six blocks and sparks a dance scene with its four stages of musical acts. Put on your dancing shoes and get ready for a heavy dose of nostalgia this year—performers include David Cassidy and Wilson Phillips.
- Support local artists at the Bucktown Arts Fest (July 24-25), where you can drink beer while perusing paintings or listening to a poetry slam. If you miss your chance to get artsy in July, come back at the end of the summer for The Renegade Craft Fair (Sept. 7-8), an eclectic showing of homemade crafts that include everything from furniture to iPhone covers.
- Top off the summer by indulging in your favorite libation. Oenophiles can sip wine next to Buckingham Fountain at the Windy City Wine Festival (Sept. 6-7), while hopheads can toast with beers and brats at the Lakeview neighborhood’s Oktoberfest (Sept. 28-30).
Find discounts on Chicago hotels and restaurants, activities, spa days and more with Local Deals.