Beat the Summer Heat with Indoor Deals
Get out of the sweltering heat with these fully air-conditioned activities.
As record-setting temperatures continue to make the U.S feel like one big toaster oven, plans for beach days and barbecues are giving way to activities that can be done indoors. But staying inside doesn’t have to mean staying home. Get out of your air-conditioned living room, into your air-conditioned car and drive to experience one of these cool and comfortable activities:
- Las Vegas: Sure, you could spend all day in the casino to avoid the heat, or you could learn a thing or two at the National Atomic Testing Museum, one of less than 40 museums in the country with a “national” distinction. Get two tickets for the price of one with this deal for $14.
- Orlando: Watch an IMAX movie, learn about the future of space travel, and even meet a U.S. astronaut at the Kennedy Space Center outside Orlando. Adults can get in for $35 apiece, the price of a regular child’s ticket.
- New Jersey: Easily accessible from Manhattan, Liberty Science Center in Jersey City houses nine permanent exhibits, three theaters and dozens of live science experiments daily. Kids are free with a paid adult with this deal for $16.75, a savings of $12.50.
- Baltimore: Residents and visitors to this historic city can visit three museums for $19.95 for adults and $14.95 for kids. Each museum celebrates African-American heritage: the National Great Blacks in Wax Museum, the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture, and the Fredrick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park.
- Nationwide: On July 12 at 7 p.m. local time, more than 450 theaters nationwide will show “Singin’ in the Rain” in honor of the film’s 60th anniversary. Tickets range from $8.50-$15 depending on the theater.
- New York City: Seeing a play on Broadway is a must-do in the Big Apple, not to mention a perfect opportunity to cool off for a few hours. We have discounted tickets available for top shows including “Fela!,” “Avenue Q,” Cirque du Soleil and “The Best Man,” starring Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones.
- Los Angeles: “Les Miserables,” “La Cage aux Folles” and “Mary Poppins” are all playing this July-September in the LA area, and tickets are on sale for $29-$50. For a more casual night out, visit the Hollywood or Long Beach location of the Laugh Factory and get a ticket with two drinks for $15-$18 (40% off).
- Portland, Ore.: Portlandians can save 30% on tickets to “Jersey Boys” when it’s in town July 24 - Aug. 5. Center and Side Orchestra or Balcony seats at Keller Auditorium are $51.60.
If nothing else, you can always grab a dining deal and pop out to a local restaurant. It sure beats slaving over a hot stove this summer.