9 Gifts for Frequent Fliers
Picking gifts for frequent fliers in your life can be difficult. Some jet-setters are never home enough to fully unpack, let alone enjoy a present meant for the house. In those cases, think about gifts they can use to add comfort, entertainment and convenience to their travels instead.
Here are our top gift ideas for frequent travelers:
- Noise-canceling headphones: A must-have for any frequent flier, noise-cancelling headphones can make all the difference when you’re trying to tune out a fussy baby or hear an in-flight movie over the engine’s drone. Don’t forget extra batteries!
- Lounge access: Programs such as Priority Pass let travelers access the refreshments and business conveniences of airport lounges. Find out which airports and terminals the person you’re buying for frequents before deciding on a pass. Minimum memberships start with a yearly base fee and require an additional per-visit fee, while more expensive memberships can cover unlimited lounge access with no additional fees.
- E-reader: E-readers and tablets are great for passing time on long flights, can be loaded with new content wherever there’s Wi-Fi, and allow for lighter packing than a suitcase full of novels. If they already have one, consider online store credit to keep it stocked.
- Wi-Fi credit: Help your frequent flier stay connected no matter where they are. Boingo offers unlimited access to its Wi-Fi hot spots, including at more than 600 airports, starting at $9.95 per month. Skype credit can be used for Wi-Fi hot spots, text messaging and phone calls.
- Mini travel kit: For a fun and personal gift, customize a kit of handy travel-sized accessories. Pack a decorative bag with items like wrinkle remover spray, an eye mask, hand sanitizer, a stain remover stick and their favorite candies or snack bars. For the finishing touch, use a luggage tag as the To/From tag.
- Stylish travel gear: Help them hit the airport in style with sleek luggage, eye-catching toiletry bags, jewelry cases that keep necklaces from tangling and more. Think beyond the primary luggage and consider their personal style and interests – such as a shoe bag for the fashionista, a heat-resistant flat-iron case for the primper on the go, and carry-on bags that charge electronics for the tech nerd.
- Multi-country power adapter: Compact power adapters are available that can convert power in more than 120 countries, ensuring your frequent flyer is always plugged in.
- Travel alert services: Online services can take the hassle out of juggling multiple trip arrangements. TripIt automatically pulls and organizes info from emailed flight and hotel confirmations, and the Pro version sends alerts when members are eligible for a refund or flights have been delayed ($49/year). ExpertFlyer.com alerts flyers when a desired seat opens up on their flight, and monitors flights for upgrade opportunities (starting at $4.99/month).
- Travelzoo Local Deals: This is especially appropriate for business travelers who often go to the same city. A Travelzoo Local Deal gets them out of their hotel and out experiencing what the city has to offer, whether it’s catching a Broadway show in New York or unwinding tight muscles with a spa day in San Francisco. Browse all of Travelzoo's gift ideas in the Holiday Gift Guide, which lets you filter experiences based on the city and recipient.