5 Summer Events in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach is a year-round vacation destination, thanks to its 60 miles of soft-sand beaches and mild winter weather. However, the town really comes alive in the summer, when sunbathing season hits and the town buzzes with activity. You’ll see the crowds descend on Grand Strand hotspots like Broadway at the Beach and the Pavilion Amusement Park, but if you want a more unique taste of the town, check out these five summer events:
- Sounds of Summer Concert Series (June 21; July 19; Aug. 16; Sept. 20): Channel your inner Jimmy Buffet as you listen to live beach bands in the park. Summertime brings free concerts to McClean Park the third Friday of each month from 7-9 p.m. Take along a blanket and some food for a Carolina-style picnic under the stars.
- Arts in the Park (June 22-23): More than 60 artists from across the Southeast will travel to Myrtle Beach for this event, which has been a town staple since 1973. Peruse the stands in Chapin Park, where you can pick up everything from paintings to handmade jewelry and cards. This is the best way to come home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir.
- Beachbliss Yoga Sundays (June 16, 30): Sink into beach bliss by taking a free yoga class on Surfside Pier, about a 15-minute drive from downtown Myrtle Beach. Bring a mat and towel, and strike your best downward-dog as you breathe in the ocean air. The best part: You’ll enjoy a crowd-free beach before the sunbathers arrive.
- Pelicans baseball game (select days throughout the summer): Watch the mighty Myrtle Beach Pelicans play ball at TicketReturn.com Field. This year marks the 15thseason for the Grand Strand baseball team, whose games are sprinkled with sideline giveaways and entertainment. Pay $25 for all-you-can-eat seats (you’ll be treated to a buffet of hamburgers, hot dogs and fries), and check the team’s online schedule to see which games feature fireworks.
- Beach, Boogie and BBQ Festival (Aug. 30 - Sept. 1): Round out the summer with this annual three-day festival at Grand Park. True to its name, this event is highlighted by a lip-smacking barbecue cook-off. Come to sample the contenders, and stay for the free blues concerts and jet-ski demonstrations.
Find even more summer fun with hotel deals, airfare discounts and more on our Myrtle Beach Featured Destination page.