2011 Brings New Airfare Sales
Start 2011 with a cool new passport stamp thanks to new international air sales. Here’s a roundup of what’s in the market:
- United has discounted fares to top destinations in Europe for travel into early spring. Fares start at $253 each way. Some of our favorite offers include Los Angeles to London for $278 each way as well as Chicago to Paris for $294 each way. Other destination cities include Geneva, Zurich, Brussels, Frankfurt, Munich and Rome. Book by Jan. 10.
- For flights through March 31, Alitalia has discounted trips to Rome, Venice, Milan and Florence. These sale fares, which expire Jan. 12, take $100 off the price tag of competing airlines. Roundtrip fares are $598 and up. Several of these flights are nonstop.
- With discounts into August departure dates, Scandinavian Airlines has cut the price of flights. Fares start at $294 each way. Destinations include cities in Scandinavia and Norway as well as northern Europe. Also in this sale, travelers are allowed one free change date and kids fares are 40% off. Book by Jan. 10.
- Ethiopian Airlines has discounted flights to 15 cities in Africa from Washington, D.C., to $999 roundtrip. This offer takes $400 off similar fares. All flights connect through Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and destination cities include Johannesburg, South Africa; Nairobi, Kenya; Kilimanjaro, Tanzania; and Accra, Ghana. This sale ends Jan. 9.
- In a sale ending Jan. 7, Emirates has discounted travel to the Middle East, Africa and Asia. Roundtrip fares from New York’s JFK, Houston, Los Angeles and San Francisco are $1175 and up. Travel through March 31 to get this offer. Plus, when travelers book using an American Express card, an extra 10% will be taken off the fare.
- Want to stay a little closer to home? With AirTran's sale, which launched today, travelers can save as much as $100 on roundtrip domestic routes. Fares start at $49 each way. Travel through May 25. Book by Jan. 13.