My Recent Trip to Ocho Rios, Jamaica
This week, we ran a $107 (US$109)-per-person offer from The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. This deal, which has both spring and fall travel dates, is more than $145 off regular rates over these travel periods. And over Christmas last year, I jumped on a last-minute deal at this resort after reading compelling reviews on TripAdvisor.
Thinking about booking this offer by Tuesday? Here are some things to know before you go:
- After checking in, look for the schedule for the following day. It will list restaurant times, the activity schedule, sports schedule and of course, an ad for the spa. Throughout the course of our trip we looked forward to the daily schedule, and it definitely came in handy on multiple occasions. Especially when the weather wasn’t that great.
- This hotel is known for its service – and for good reason. At breakfast, within 15 seconds a server was at our table asking if we wanted coffee or anything at all -- this type of service was consistent at each meal throughout our stay. Another surprise came when one of the entertainment staff asked if he could have breakfast with us. We were surprised, but then noticed many guests sitting with the staff. Staff members are friendly, attentive and tried their best to make our vacation as good as it could be.
- If the sun gets too strong, take advantage of “spritz time.” What is it? This is when the pool staff come around and spray you down to cool off. I’m pretty sure the pool staffer said the special recipe had rosemary in it.
- You will not run out of dining options. Lunch was available at the buffet restaurant, the Grill (burgers, chicken, quesadillas, etc), or the wood-burning pizza oven – all of course within 5 meters of the pool. It was very common to see guests grabbing their lunch and bringing it back to their pool chair to enjoy. Dinners were another highlight of the day with a choice of Italian, Japanese, Caribbean, pizza, the Grill or buffet.
- Looking for a drink recommendation? The hummingbird smoothie was a favorite. I have no idea what is in it, but boy is it tasty.
- A trip to the local crafts market coupled with an afternoon visit to the Dunns River Falls makes for a perfect day trip. Both are close to the resort and are easy to get to. After a morning perusing the local goods from art to jewelry and food and beyond, head out to the falls. My boyfriend and I did the climb in about an hour and a half, taking in the breathtaking views.