Leap Year Travel Discounts
For travel and entertainment companies, an extra day in February means an extra day to fill rooms and theatres, hence a slew of Leap Year promotions.
Several of the discounts targeted Leap Year babies, but many are available to all travellers and are worth doing a little bit of planning to take advantage of. Some nightly savings are as much as 99%, and most of these sales end when this extra-long February comes to a close.
Some offers include:
- WestJet Airlines: Those born on Leap Year can fly to any of WestJet's Canadian destinations for $16 each way (plus applicable taxes and fees) on Feb. 29.
- Vancouver: The Opus Hotel has discounted room rates to 29 cents on Feb. 29 with stays of at least three nights.
- "Stomp:" In a sale launched for the holiday, Orchestra seats to the award-wining show are US$29 (regularly US$72.50) for select performances at the Orpheum Theatre in New York.
- Disney: In the One More Day at Disney event, both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are staying open around the clock until 6 a.m. Thursday. And one winner a day through the end of the month will receive a free Disney Parks vacation.
- Princess Cruises: The cruise line is holding a one-day online sale in which prices of its Alaska cruises will be discounted the price of one day on the sea. This promotion also comes with a credit of at least US$50.
- Frontier Airlines: For travel through May 9, take off from more than 65 cities nationwide with this sale from Frontier Airlines.
- Trump Hotels: Suites at properties in New York, Las Vegas, Waikiki, Panama, Toronto and Chicago are 29% off for stays April - June.
- Kimpton Hotels: The chain's three properties in Florida -- Miami's Epic, South Beach's Surfcomber and Vero Beach Hotel & Spa -- will offer room upgrades for US$29. For more information, call 1-800-KIMPTON. And rates at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria, Morrison House and Lorien Hotel & Spa -- all in Virginia -- are discounted 29%.
- Marriott: At six resorts in the Caribbean, rates are as much as half off in a one-day sale with promo code D54. Resorts include Costa Rica Marriott San Jose, San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, Los Suenos Ocean & Golf Resort, St. Kitts Marriott resort & Royal Beach Casino and Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino.
- Boston: For reservations made online, The Charles Hotel will discount rooms by 29% from 2:29-3:29 p.m. Wednesday.
- North Carolina's Outer Banks: The upscale Sanderling resort is offering rooms for US$250 per night and US$29 for the second on weekday stays in March.
- San Diego: The Westin in the trendy Gaslamp Quarter is offering a third night at US$29 when staying the first and second nights at US$199.
- Los Angeles area: When the best available rate is paid for the first-night stay, the AAA 4-Diamond Westlake Village Inn will be charging US$29 for the second night.
Visit Travelzoo’s Leap Year page for more discounts and $29 deals.