Last Updated January 19, 2015
- This Policy explains the privacy practices of Travelzoo (Asia) Ltd. and its family of related companies including licensees (collectively, "Travelzoo") and applies to your use of Travelzoo's products and services, including Travelzoo’s websites, mobile applications and social media pages that link to this Policy (collectively, the "Services"). For more information on our Services, click here.
- This Policy covers how Travelzoo treats the personal information we collect and receive including information relating to your use of our Services.
- When we refer to "personal information", what we mean is any information which identifies you as an individual or which renders you reasonably identifiable. like your name, gender, date of birth, address, e-mail address, credit card information, precise location data, phone number, or work contact details and any other information that is not otherwise publicly available. Personal information may also include information we may collect about your individual preferences.
- Please understand that this Policy does not apply to the practices of people or companies that Travelzoo does not own, control, employ or manage, except where incorporated by reference within licensing arrangements with third parties.
- Minors - You must be at least 18 years old to register or subscribe for Travelzoo's Services
- Travelzoo may collect personal information about you when you visit and use our websites or mobile applications; when you use, register, subscribe to and/or sign in to any of our Services; when you open our e-mail newsletters or use Travelzoo software widgets; when you visit the websites of some Travelzoo partners; when you participate in a subscriber review; when you complete and submit any forms; when you contact us directly in person or via any medium including mail, telephone, social media and commercial electronic messages; and when you enter promotions or sweepstakes sponsored by or in connection with Travelzoo. For more information on Promotions, click here.
- Travelzoo may combine the information that we collect about you with information that we obtain from our business partners or other sources.
- When you subscribe to or use our Services, we may ask you to provide personal information such as your name, credit card information, mailing address (including country of residence),e-mail address, telephone number, Instant Messaging address, birth year, gender, preferred airport, occupation, and other personal interests. In addition, when you subscribe to or use our Services, we collect and store your IP address and, when using our mobile applications, data such as device type and OS version may be collected and stored. Note, you are not anonymous to us when you sign in to our Services. For more information on IP Addresses, click here.
- Travelzoo will only collect sensitive information with your consent, including where you have provided it to us voluntarily. Where you provide us with any sensitive information, we will only use this information for the purposes stated at the time of or in this Policy. Travelzoo may collect information about your transactions with us and our business partners through our Services.
- By signing up for our mobile services, downloading our mobile application or providing your phone number, you consent to receiving push notifications, advertising messages and text messages from Travelzoo relating to our products and services.
- When using our mobile applications, if you tell Travelzoo where you are located (e.g., by allowing your mobile device to send Travelzoo your location), Travelzoo may use that information to provide you with location-based information, tailored offers and advertising. If you wish to deactivate this feature, you can disable location services on your mobile device.
- Travelzoo may collect third party information in connection with our gift giving service. We will collect the relevant contact information of the gift recipient which may include name, address, and email address. We will use this third party information only for this service and not to market directly to the recipient unless the recipient is currently registered with Travelzoo independently.
- Furthermore, when you use our Services, we receive and record information from your computer and browser, including your IP address, Travelzoo cookie information, the type of software and hardware you are using, and the web page(s) you visit.
Sharing and Disclosing Information
- Travelzoo does not rent or sell personal information about you to third parties, however, we reserve the right to share the personal information we collect about you through our Services with third parties, including overseas, when we have your permission to do so or under the circumstances described below.
- Travelzoo may use the data we collect about you for the following purposes:
- To provide you with the products or services you have requested from us or through our Services;
- To provide personal information, when required by law, in connection with security-related or law enforcement investigations, to comply with legal requirements, orders, or proceedings, to perform credit checks, report or collect debts owed, or to protect the rights or property of Travelzoo, our employees, our subscribers, and our Services;
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of Travelzoo's Terms of Service, or as otherwise required by law;
- To customize the content and provide targeted advertising for our Services and to improve our Services;
- To contact you with marketing materials and offers by Travelzoo and/or third parties that we think may be of interest to you via any medium including electronically;
- To conduct research and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients;
- To respond to enquiries, complaints and for complaints handling;
- We may use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our servers and to administer our websites and to estimate the total number of Internet users who visit our websites from certain countries or regions of the world;
- If you are making a purchase, we often work with third parties and trusted business partners to securely collect your credit card, billing address and other verifying information. The third parties that we have partnered with are required by contract to follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information they receive and/or process on our behalf. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure and thus we cannot guarantee its absolute security. We assume no liability for disclosure of personal information due to, among other things, errors in transmission or unauthorized third parties;
- We may provide data to trusted partners who work on our behalf to communicate with you about offers from Travelzoo and our marketing partners, or to provide you with our location based services. Note, these companies do not have any right to use or share the data for any other purposes;
- We may also provide data about your mobile device to our third party analytics partners for the purposes of tracking mobile application usage information. We will share your personal information only as necessary for the third party to provide that service.
- When you enter a promotion sponsored or offered in connection with Travelzoo, we may contact you and share your personal information with third parties so that we may administer the promotion, for prize fulfillment, and as otherwise specified in the official rules for the promotion.
- We may invite you to write a subscriber review on your personal experience and display the information that you provide us. When submitting a review you should not provide any personally identifiable information that you do not wish to make publicly available;
- We may contract with third parties to analyze our customer data and/or handle web chat, email, customer services and other services. The companies we employ to help us with these tasks have access to personal data to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- If you purchase certain Services for others, such as hotel reservations or Local Deal gift vouchers, we will collect the personal information of the recipients of these services. You must make sure that you have the right to provide such personal information. By providing any personal information for another person, you represent that you have all necessary authority and/or have obtained all necessary consents from such person to enable us to collect, use and disclose such personal information as set forth in this Policy. If an individual whose personal information you have provided us wishes to request the removal of their personal information they can contact us via the feedback form at the end of this Policy;
- For any other purpose as may be deemed reasonably necessary by Travelzoo in the circumstances.
Cookies and Other Technologies
- Travelzoo may use web beacons to access Travelzoo cookies in connection with our Services.
- A web beacon is activated as part of a web page or e-mail and allows us to count visitors to our websites and to recognize users by accessing Travelzoo cookies which help us personalize your experience when you use our Services.
- Travelzoo also uses web beacons to conduct research on behalf of our partners and for auditing purposes. No personally identifiable information about you is shared with partners from this research. For more information about our use of web beacons, click here.
Your Account Information and Preferences
- Travelzoo respects your right to control how your personal information is used. Travelzoo may give you the opportunity to request communications from vendors, partners, advertisers, and other service providers. For more information about these opportunities, to edit your personal information, to unsubscribe from receiving Travelzoo services you previously requested, to update your account or to terminate your account, please visit your User Profile. Users can access their account by going to their profile page. If you have any issue accessing your profile page to update or delete your account, please use the feedback form below. We will respond to your request to delete or unsubscribe your account within 30 days.
- We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the Travelzoo Services or your account, such as service announcements and administrative messages, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
- Information about how to opt out of receiving communications to which you are currently subscribed is included in every communication we send to you.
- If you request termination of your Travelzoo account, it is our practice to deactivate your account and block further e-mail deliveries to you in approximately 30 days. This delay is necessary to discourage users from engaging in fraudulent activity.
- We will retain your information for as long as needed to provide you Services. If you wish to request that we no longer use your information to provide you Services, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Confidentiality and Security of Your Personal Information
- Travelzoo takes reasonable security measures to protect your user information under our company's control against loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or alteration. For more information on Security at Travelzoo, click here
- Travelzoo reserves the right to enhance information about you with appropriate and legal data that may be obtained to serve you better and present you more relevant information, for example by using Geo-IP maps. In addition, Travelzoo reserves the right to take proactive steps to unsubscribe users for a variety of reasons at Travelzoo's discretion, for example if an e-mail address stops accepting e-mail.
- Travelzoo has been awarded TRUSTe’s Privacy Seal signifying that this Policy and practices have been reviewed by TRUSTe for compliance with TRUSTe's program requirements including transparency, accountability and choice regarding the collection and use of your personal information. The TRUSTe program covers all English-language sites under the Travelzoo.com domain and may apply to other sites if so indicated by a TRUSTe seal on that site. If you have any questions regarding Travelzoo's membership in TRUSTe or any privacy related questions, please contact the Travelzoo site coordinator at the address listed below. If you feel that your inquiry has not been satisfactorily addressed, you should contact TRUSTe here
Data Transfer and Storage
- Please note that the information Travelzoo collects about you may be stored on servers outside your home country - currently on servers in the United States. If you are visiting our websites from a country other than the United States or your home country, please note that the United States or other countries where we may be hosting servers may not have the same data protection laws as your country or jurisdiction. By providing your personal information to Travelzoo, you are consenting to: (i) the use of your personal information for the uses described in this Policy; and (ii) the transfer of your personal information to a country outside your home country - currently the United States.
Social Media Widgets
Single Sign On
- You may log in to our websites using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect. These services are optional and will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like these also give you the option to post information about your activities on our Services to your social media profile page to share with others within your network.
- Travelzoo may update this Policy from time to time. We will post any update(s) to this Policy on our websites. All update(s) will be effective immediately on posting.
Questions/Your Privacy Rights
- You have the right to access and review your personal information that may be held by Travelzoo.
If you have questions about this Policy, regarding disclosure of personal information to third parties should it ever occur, or about data we may hold about you, or if you would like us to correct any personal information we may hold about you or if have any problems or complaints about how we have collected, used, stored, handled and/or disclosed your personal information, please write to us at:
Travelzoo (Asia) Ltd
Unit 3608, Level 36, AIA Tower,
183 Electric Road, Hong Kong
Please allow 30 days for your request to be processed. For Australian residents, if you do not receive a satisfactory response from Travelzoo to your query, problem or complaint within 30 days, you may refer your query, problem or complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner via the contact details listed at www.oaic.gov.au/about-us/contact-us-page.